Needle in a Haystack (The Twilights)

18 OCTOBER 1966


Australian group the Twilights hit #1 on the Australian charts during this month in 1966 with their cover of The Velvelettes' 1964 hit ‘Needle in a Haystack’. This was their fifth single and their biggest success.

The Twilights formed in Adelaide in 1965, although all members of the band had actually been born in the UK. They moved to London in 1967 but were crowded out by the quantity and quality of competition there (although they did get to perform at Liverpool's Cavern Club and record at Abbey Road). The group returned to Australia with a more psychedelic flavour to their music (see 'Cathy Come Home') and had mixed but generally declining success until they disbanded in late 1968.

Needle in a Haystack (The Twilights)

'Well well, I once believed all fellas were nice
But listen to me, take my advice
Well you`d better get yourselves on the right track
`Cause findin` a good girl man is like findin` a
(Needle in a haystack)
What did I say, (Needle in a haystack)
(x2): (She-doop, she-doop, la la)
Boys those fellas are sly, slick & shy
So don`t you ever let `em get you starry-eyed
They'll tell you that their love is true
But they`ll walk right over you
You should know these things right off the back
`Cause findin` a good girl man is like findin` a
(Needle in a haystack)
What did I say, (Needle in a haystack)
(x2): (She-doop, she-doop, la la)
(instrumental)
(chorus)

Now boys, I say I`m tellin` you the natural facts
`Cause findin` a good man, girls, is like findin` a
(Needle in a haystack)
What did I say, (Needle in a haystack)

I'll tell you boys you'd`d better look before you leap
Still water sometimes runs very deep
You`ll be sorry when you just jump
& do justice passed by love
Get these things right off the back
`Cause findin` a good girl man is like findin` a
(Needle in a haystack)
What did I say, (Needle in a haystack)

I say you`d better take heed (needle in a haystack)
Listen to me (needle in a haystack)
(`she-doop` scat singing over next 4 lines):
You`d better play hard to get'