It Won't Be Wrong (The Byrds)

24 JANUARY 1966


‘It Won’t Be Wrong’ was the B-side on the Byrds’ single ‘Set You Free This Time’, as mentioned in an earlier post. After the A-side song had peaked at #79 on the US charts, some radio stations started playing this more up-tempo B-side and the record climbed to #63. 

This was simply a case of releasing further tracks from an album to perk up sales of that album, and while this was a decent track it was never going to be big hit material. The Byrds had two #1 hits in 1965, but they would never breach the top ten again despite continuing to release quality material throughout the 1960s.

The video here is from 5 February 1966 and shows the Byrds looking great while miming ‘It Won’t Be Wrong’ on the very crowded set of the TV show ‘Hollywood A Go Go’ (they kick in around the 1:15 mark.

Recorded: 10, 14-16 September 1965, Columbia Studios, Hollywood
Released: 18 February 1966
Highest chart position: #63 (US)
Length: 1:58
Label: CBS
Writers: Jim McGuinn, Harvey Gerst
Producer: Terry Melcher

It Won’t Be Wrong (The Byrds)

'Every time I see you smile, come to me, don't be long
Let me tell you how my heart goes wild.
Please let me love you and it won't be wrong

Every time you're in my arms, come to me, don't be long
You know that I'll never do you no harm
Please let me love you and it won't be wrong

Let me love you and then you'll see, come to me, come to me
Let me show you once and we'll be free
Please let me love you and it won't be wrong

Every time I see you smile, come to me, don't be long
Let me tell you how my heart goes wild.
Please let me love you and it won't be wrong'